Prof. Peter Abrahams
ART HISTORY, ANATOMY AND MEDICINE - AN AWARD - WINNING PROFESSOR
Trained in London as a physician (MD) after Peace Corps (VSO), teaching geography in the jungles of Sarawak, Borneo. Intended to become a surgeon but was side-tracked into anatomy after writing "Clinical Anatomy of Practical Procedures" in 1973. This led to a British Fulbright Scholarship (1975-76) to Universityof Iowa Medical School, Iowa City, USA
Clinical Anatomist at University College, London (UCL) for 15 years and then held the Clinical Anatomist post at The University of Cambridge (UK) succeeding Prof.Harold Ellis before moving to the new Chair of Clinical Anatomy at Warwick Post-Graduate Medical School in 2006.
Life Fellow of Girton College, Cambridge after 15 years supervising anatomy teaching in Cambridge University. I also still do an occasional clinic in "real metropolitan, inner city medicine" as an NHS, General Practitioner in London.
Top teaching award (WATE) in first year at Warwick University and in 2011 won the UK National Teaching Fellowship from HEA -and in the same year made a FHEA (Fellow of Higher Education Academy)
Received an educational grant of £ 1.5 million from SHA to set up the West Midlands Surgical Training Centre - a cadaver operative suite and plastinate teaching centre for all international health professionals.(2007)
Art history is a serious hobby of 30 years standing. For a decade taught at the Slade School of Fine Art (UCL) - a course “Anatomy for Artists” which still runs tothis veryday in the university of London @ The Slade.
Was consultant to the Buckingham Palace Exhibition summer Olympics - “Leonardo- Anatomist “ and co-curated the “Mechanics of Man” exhibition which was held in 2013 in Palace of Holyroode House for the Edinburgh Festival.
1. Leonardo da Vinci- Anatomist - inside his mind- inside the body
2. Leonardo Da Vinci –“A 15th-century artist whose concepts & ideas anticipated 21st-century Radiology”
3. Vesalius and Titian’s boys are the first “Evidence –based doctors” A renaissance quantum leap that benefits us all today
4. "The Hand of God "- The history of hands in art and medicine
5. The Geography of a travelling clinical anatomist.
6. History of the Human body in classical Western Art
7. The Head Hunter’s Of Borneo meet the digital world